Thursday, March 27, 2008

Wildcuts decides to share the winnings

After announcing the winner this week we got an email back from Wildcuts (creator of the winning entry) which we certainly did not expect. His idea? To offer $250 each to the 2 other videos that he thought deserved to share in the winnings. So I asked him to do a guest post for the blog to explain what he wanted to do..

Hey fellow adimades!

I've been invited by Nat and Jake to write some guest blog text about a certain issue....
No, no, not the low ball voting thing or the fact that someone called me a tard in one of the comments.... No, this is a place of creativity and it should be a positive experience for everybody. Not about winning and loosing but about the freedom to let creativity flow.
Now, I'm participating together with my crew in such contests since last summer (I mean the last European summer :) We did about 11 of those clips and won with 8... The price money we've won goes to a project funding pot for "our" big project - a lord of the rings style fantasy film. We are far away from shooting this as a feature film but meanwhile the pot is filled enough to do a short film this year.
Technically by voting for my films and now for my entry "Ballsarade" you all became supporters of this project (including the adimade founders who actually pay the bill :) Suporters of my work and my dream. And I thank you all for it. But more than thanks - I honor this. And I don't just want to grab the money and be off, especially not here since this is a very fresh project with a not so fluent start.

So, before this will get an old fashioned speech about social values and positive thinking I'd like to come to the point and this is: I will sponsor two runner up prices from my price money. One price for the "real" film I liked most in this competition and one for the the animation I liked most. I discussed the idea with Jake and Nat and they liked it too, so here are my winners:

$250 AU go to
jgreschner for "Hyperade"
This clip has it's weaknesses, but I look beyond the surface and see a great potential. Having a story and dividing a story into scenes, reassembles those scenes again to tell the story is a difficult task.
$250 AU go to
scovers for "Superawsomeade"
Slapping together something with some 3D software is easy, but this kind of animation needs skill, patience, discipline and preparation - exactly what you need to make film.

I saw more talent among the other entries, but - as every jury - I have a personal taste, so don't be too disappointed that I wont sponsor 10 more prices ;) Just make more films! As I will do and maybe one of us will shoot a big feature film some day. I hope this will be me :)

Cheers
Markus (wildcuts)



Wildcuts (among others) had noted the lack of second or third prizes in this competition to us as being something they think would help the project but I cant say we ever expected he would offer up his own prize pool make this possible. So a big thank you to Wildcuts, im sure the creators of the other 2 videos appreciate it and we wish him the best of luck in production of his short film.

No comments: